A London Scottish ladies section has been playing on Wimbledon Common more or less since the formation of the club itself.
After a hiatus of ten years in the 1890s, the ladies opened their own nine-hole course on land adjacent to the main links in 1891, and had their own clubhouse at the Thatched Cottage on the common.
Among the members was Isette Pearson, an accomplished amateur who lived in Putney and was a prime mover behind the formation of the Ladies Golf Union in 1893. She lent her name to the Pearson Trophy, which remains one of the major women’s amateur competitions in England.
Lady golfers are now fully integrated into the club, playing in the same competitions as the men and off the same tees - although we also have separate women's tees.